Re: Git migration update

-=| Salvatore Bonaccorso, Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 08:14:58AM +0200 |=-
> I meant, that in final changelog
> (In my opinion) the entries should be reorganized into 'groups', e.g.
>
>  * debian/control:
>   - change 1
>   - chagne 3
>  * debian/rules:
>   - change 2
>
> instead of
>
>  * debian/control: change 1
>  * debian/rules: change 2
>  * debian/control: change 3

True, the former looks better. I'd also consider removing the file
heading, as irrelevant. For example a single change could affect more
than one file (e.g. adopting tiny dh-style debian/rules, which also
affects control and compat), or the file affected can be obvious (e.g.
"Add dependency on foo-bar"). Personal tastes all around :)

> But this is my opinion. And as you said, this can be adjusted later
> before uploading the package.
>
> We should simply agree in the group how we want to manage
> debian/changelog overall. I'm too fine to use git-dch only. Important
> thing is to be consistent in the group to not loose any changes which
> belong to debian/changelog.

It seems difficult to do right now. As far as I see, there are people
who find it OK to keep changelog commits separate (and use another
method for updating changelog, be it git-dch or something else), and
others who are used to the 'dch -a; debcommit' sequence (which still
works with Git btw, but one may find the -a debcommit option useful).
Changing the VCS alone is a big change, so we may want to postpone any
other "policy" decisions for when the dust have settled :)