Re: A short guide for using Git with pkg-perl available

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 08:54:09PM +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| gregor herrmann, Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 07:34:52PM +0100 |=-
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:55:38 +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> >
> > > You do mention that in the interest of preserving history, git-import-dsc
> > > may be used more than once with all the .dsc files available, and that's
> > > indeed one of its great features.  What I wonder is, is there a way to
> > > use git-svn and "git svn clone" in particular to preserve *all* of
> > > a package's Subversion history, while still keeping the git-import-dsc
> > > style of branching and stuff?
> >
> > Usual disclaimer: /me = git n00b
> >
> > There seem to be some tutorials around for this purpose, one I found
> > today is http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS/git/converting-from-svn
> > (usual disclaimer ...)
>
> That should work more or less (there is a ready AUTHORS file somewhere
> in /git/pkg-perl), but I don't like the general direction of this.

Ouch :)

> We aren't yet converting pkg-perl from Svn to Git. Doing so now will
> break the workflow as PET can't see the Git repositories.

Yep, I know.

> The purpose of the Git guide is to give some pointers to people who
> are ready to sacrifice the PET integration in favour of using the tool
> they love.
> ("I'll use Git or else I'll maintain it outside the group!")
> ("I can upload/take care of it myself, PET doesn't give me that much,
> and Git is so c00l")

...or, as was my case a couple of weeks ago...

"I really like the way the group has been maintaining this package, and
 I fully intend to keep benefitting from it, but I need to fork it for
 $REALJOB's needs (extend it a bit and put a different distribution name
 in the changelog file... don't ask :) -- and the best way to do that
 would be to keep it in a VCS of my own, right here at $REALJOB, and Git
 seems to be the best tool for the job, so I would really like a way to
 have a local Git repo that I can play with *and* to keep tracking
 the Debian Perl Group's changes to the package in the future."

As I said in the beginning, a very specific need for a very specific
case - and that's why I didn't ask then, and that's why I only asked
tentatively now.

> All this said, having a developed procedure for the conversion ready
> at hand cannot be bad. And if we live to see the day of PET supporting
> Git, we could even use that procedure. And who am I to tell others how
> to spend their time anyway? :)

Yep, all of your points are good and taken in good faith.  Still, IMHO
a svn->git migration is in the not-quite-so-far future, at least for
some packages[0], so gregoa's link[1] just might come in useful at some
point.

G'luck,
Peter

[0] ...and no, I'm not an advocate of change just for the sake of
change, it's just that IMHO there are quite a few people who think that
Git provides, let's say, a bit more flexibility than Subversion :)

[1] ...and I feel a bit guilty for not having noticed this particular
page on the Debian Wiki, especially as some of my work with Git has
actually been as part of my Debian Games team participation... d'oh! :)

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@space.bg    roam@ringlet.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.