Re: Rename master branch to main

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-03-07 13:33]:

Le dimanche 07 mars 2021 à 12:41 +0100, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
With a culturally enlightened motivation, I would like to rename the
"master" branch into "main" in all Git repositories maintained by the
DOG. Are there any objections to this ?

I agree that a renaming would be a good idea, for the same reasons as you.

However, if we decide to rename, I think we should rather adopt DEP-14: https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/

In practice, this means that we would rename “master“ to “debian/latest”, and “upstream” to “upstream/latest”.

Perfect. Let us adopt DEP-14.

This will imply adding a debian/gbp.conf to all our repositories, and also updating the default branch in Gitlab config.

Ok.

We should also add "merge-mode = merge" to debian/gbp.conf (as we have discussed privately some time ago), such that the top-level .gitignore file is not deleted when merging new upstream versions.

If there are no objections, I will start the migration.

Best,

Rafael

P.S. : Is it possible to change the main branch of the Salsa repositories through the GitLab API ?