Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] /usr/bin/mex and texlive

* Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> [2006-10-03 17:57]:

> Apart from me being too fast, I guess there's a mis-understanding here.
> octave2.1-forge has no 'mex' command, it's called mex2.1 (I thought
> octave2.9-forge had a mex command as well and I needed a way to
> distinguish between them). Indeed, I installed the texlive-package and
> octave2.1-forge to ensure that they can co-exist in their current state.

Yes, it was a misunderstanding of mine.

> So I guess for us as maintainers it is a question of what's more
> important: polish-texlive users being able to install octave2.1-forge or
> Octave users having a mex command for Octave 2.1? Personnaly, I tend to
> the first solution simply because Octave 2.9 has a much better mex
> support; so most people with mex-files will want to use Octave2.9
> anyways.

As JWE mentioned, there might also be the case of Debian users with Matlab
installed.  They might prefer to use the mex command with Matlab instead of
Octave.  Anyway, since "mkoctfile --mex" is the mex-way in Octave, I would
avoid putting a mex binary in the standard PATH.

--
Rafael