Re: Make ocaml-best-compilers non-virtual

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 09:13:19AM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Ximin Luo (2016-10-31 08:35:00)
> > I think we might have to make ocaml-best-compilers a real package, so that we
> > can have versioned Build-Depends: rules on it.
> >
> > Currently the ocamlbuild in experimental is using ocaml 4.02.3 from sid. I
> > need to force it to compile against ocaml 4.03.0 instead so that it generates
> > 4.03.0-versioned .cmi files, otherwise the camlp4 build fails (and others
> >   will too).
> >
> > However, if I simply add "ocaml-best-compilers (>= 4.03.0)" into
> > Build-Depends I still get an error like:
> >
> > dpkg-checkbuilddeps: error: Unmet build dependencies: ocaml-best-compilers (>= 4.03.0)
> >
> > so it looks like we can't do this for virtual packages. (Yes, I do have
> > 4.03.0 installed For Sure Totally).
>
> yes, see policy §7.5:
>
> "If a relationship field has a version number attached, only real packages will
> be considered to see whether the relationship is satisfied"

Policy is lagging behind reality in this respect, but it is not the only
place where policy is not up to date. We have versionend provides since
quite some time, and we have versionend dependencies on virtual packages
in the archive (on python-cffi-backend-api-min, for instance).

However,it is quite possible that the build-demons are not able yet to
resolve these. On a related note: I recently tried a build-dependency on
"ocamlbuild|ocaml-nox (<<4.03)", which works on pbuilder, but not on
the build-demons. So, I don't have any other solution to propose either than
the one proposed by Ximin.

-Ralf.