Re: debian and upstream (was: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy)

I cross-post this thread to debian-projectl@l.d.o. As Ralf Treinen said,
this is a general question rather than an OCaml specific question.

Ralf Treinen is reviewing the OCaml packaging policy and we discussed a
point about adding features to upstream package. We would like to share
this discussion with other Debian packagers to know what is the best
practice.

Point of view 1:

We can add features to upstream software. Debian goal is to deliver
non-broken software and we should even improve it.

It includes fixing examples, documentation and the software itself. One
of the example was adding a way to detect user's locale setting which
was not accepted upstream because of portability issue on Windows.

Point of view 2:

We should limit patches to upstream software to packaging matter:
- fix the build system to make it compile on Debian
- fix security bugs

The benefit of this approach for a packager are:
- patches only apply to things most of DD or DM know: build system for
  example, so it is easier for anyone to understand the meaning of
  patches (while adding features can be tougher to understand for
  newcomers)
- patches are easier to maintain on the long-term
- no difference of behavior for the software between Linux
  distributions

We don't exclude doing more specific patches, but this should only be
temporary and hopefully immediatly sent upstream.

POV2 is a little bit more documented than POV1, because I support POV1.
Maybe Ralf or others can extend POV1.

Thank you for giving us your opinions/best practices/experiences about
this.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall