Re: Change youtube-dl to Suggests: in gnome-mpv?

+debian-multimedia@ which also maintains mpv.

Hi Martin,

Upon further investigation it seems that gnome-mpv wants youtube-dl via mpv's "--ytdl" option which is enabled by default and is required for usages like `mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ` to work. (And adding --no-ytdl will make it fail with an error message like "Failed to recognize file format."

Going by the Debian meaning of Recommends, I would say that it is correct that both mpv and gnome-mpv Recommends: youtube-dl and that it would be less-than-ideal to change it to Suggests.

IMO, you should ask live-build and/or germinate to add the ability to exclude specific Recommends on a per-package basis, rather than asking Debian packages to redo dependency declarations that already conform properly to Debian Policy definitions.

According to the Ubuntu wiki page for Germinate, it already supports some idea of blacklists. Perhaps it's sufficient to add youtube-dl to this blacklist?

Martin Wimpress: