Re: Help: How to verify working microphone

On 01/01/2011 09:03 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 08:33:56PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> I plan to do a mumble interview and I would like to be prepared that
>> everything works right.  What is the simplest way to verify that the
>> microphone is working (what program to use to do a sound record). I
>> tried kluppe but have no idea how to use it correctly.
>>
>> Thanks for any tip
>
> Not the most lightweight, but pretty userfriendly is to run Ekiga which
> has a sound check as part of its step-by-step configure guide.
>
> I am interested in other simple sound check routines as well :-)

Not the simplest: but ardour [1] has a nice visual mixer, besides it is
possibly THE tool to record, edit, cut and master the interview with.

audacity [2] can do the job as well, and if you just want to record
without any GUI: 'jack_capture' or 'arecord'.

Just the very tip of the iceberg:
'meterbridge' [3] is a nice & simple graphical VU-meter.
jaaa - JACK and ALSA Audio Analyser shows the spectrum..
A simple but efficient recording tools is "timemachine" [4] - it can
even record audio from the past :)

Of course, all mentioned tools are available via `apt-get`.

have fun,
robin

[1] http://ardour.org/
[2] http://audacity.sourceforge.net/