Re: [FWD] Re: [Jackit-devel] parallel installs to die

Hi all,

|--==> Junichi Uekawa writes:

  JU> Hi,
  >>>http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/demudi/jack-audio-connection-kit/trunk/debian/?rev=0&sc=0
  >>>
  >>>and tested the new  packages on amd64. Everything  seems to work fine,
  >>>and upgrades from the previous packages are possible through the dummy
  >>>packages I've added in debian/control.
  >>>
  >>>If everything   is  fine for you  I'd   upload this  new   revision to
  >>>unstable (as Etch is now in freeze I think it's safe to do that).

  JU> I'd rather wait until etch release, since this transition will require
  JU> rebuild of every single package that depends on libjack, and it
  JU> usually takes around two months to settle.  I don't want unstable to
  JU> be in a too-broken state while etch is preparing to release.

  FE> Waiting is fine for  me, but actually this  new package does not break
  FE> any other  package depending on  the current jack library  package.

  FE> As far package dependences are concerned they are satisfied by a dummy
  FE> libjack0.100.0-0 package  which in turns  depends on the  new libjack0
  FE> package,  while  the shared library file /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0
  FE> shipped by the  current package is replaced  in the  new package by  a
  FE> symlink to libjack.0.0.23, making the linker happy.

  FE> All the packages I've  tested (hydrogen, ardour, zynaddsubfx, ..) work
  FE> fine with the new packges.

I've doubled checked the  new packages, both on  amd64 and i386, and I
confirm that   the work fine,  without breaking  other  packages (this
0.102.20  upstream release  was also included    in the recent  1.0 64
Studio release, and no bug reports have come so far).

So if  everybody is fine  with it I'm going  to upload the new package
within this week.

I'm  also thinking  to file bug  reports  against those  packages that
build  depend on libjack0.100.0-dev, and which  should from now on use
simply  libjack-dev,   although   a dummy  libjack0.100.0-dev  package
depending on libjack-dev is still provide to avoid FTBFSs.

Ciao!

Free