Re: MIPS Qube always fscks root filesystem

Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a MIPS Qube running Debian testing with a 2.4.24 kernel.
>>
>> The problem is, that every time I reboot I get this:
>>
>>     Checking root file system...
>>     fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
>>     /dev/hda3 has gone 49710 days without being checked, check forced.
>>
>> If I reboot it immediately, it gets fscked again.
>>
>> Anybody got an idea why this is happening?
>
> Either the RTC backup battery is broken, or the RTC has some weird date
> and is never updated correctly. The latter could be caused by running
> woody's hwclock on a newer kernel (the ioctl format was changed).
>

> Thiemo

I have no RTC support so my clock is allways in 1970 on boot. Same
thing happens. Setting the date to 2004 doesn't help either if its in
the past (before the FS was umounted).

I think fsck uses unsigned to compute the time between last mount and
now and thus drops the minus sign. Or it gets an overflow somewhere.

Its on my to-do list to check out but for now I just ntpdate to set
the clock before I fsck as a workaround.

MfG
        Goswin