Re: Boot problems with SGI Indy red ligth flashing

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 12:41:05PM +0200, Soeren Laursen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have triede several kernels 2.2.14 2.4.0 and 2.4.3 in ecoff and elf
> binary format.
>
> However I have not been able go on beyon download the kernel and start the
> booting.
>
> it either:
>
> 1) Get it's ip-address and start the downloading and the stops and ofter
> 2-3 minutes it begins to flash the red ligth. It is suppose to be a memory
> failer and I have tried to change the memory. For fun I added the mem=64m
> to see if it had any effect it had. Now the kernel panic. The 2.4.x kernel
> start flashing the red ligth and panics if I add the mem=XXm.

This looks like the kernel goes on on a different console and fails to
mount the rootfs - If you are on serial console you have to add e.g.
console=ttyS0

> 2) The kernel just panic this always happens with the 2.2.14 kernels.

I dont think a lot of the I2/Indy users use 2.2 anymore - The 2.4 kernel
is much more advanced on that Platform.

Flo