Re: Hands for the mipsel port / bootstrapping

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> > Yes, it was an interesting experience to see 'FATAL: kernel too old' when
> > trying to run bash. :)  My next step is to boot the machine to 2.2
> > (2.4?) so I can continue with configuring the chroot'ed system.

> I guess you'll see that message too booting 2.2 although i never saw
> a 2.2 kernel for the Cobalts.

Hmm, I haven't seen a 2.2 kernel for it yet, either.  So far, the 2.4 kernels
I've built complain about 'spurious interrupts' and never make it past
mounting filesystems.  Slow progress, but progress.

> > Are your mips/mipsel machines faster at compiling than ours is?  I admit that
> > I'm very impatient when waiting for compiles, having been spoiled by fast
> > x86 and alpha systems.  I'm sure that if it's as much hassle as you say, I'll
> > soon give up and learn to tolerate the slow builds, but I'm still going to try
> > cross-building if only for my own purposes.

> I dont think mine are much faster - The mipsel machines we currently
> build on are 250Mhz R5000 with 128M and the Big Endian autobuilder
> is currently 100MHz R4400 with 64M although the Indigo2 has
> 128M and a 250Mhz R4400 but the disk corruption is worse on the Indigo2
> due to multiple disks.

Well, I don't know our system specs, and don't remember a way to find the
processor speed with a 2.0 kernel.  I can say, however, that OpenSSL
cross-builds pleasantly fast on my Pentium II 333.  Cross-building
multi-library source packages this way still fails due to some issues with
dpkg-cross, but I'll see if I can't hammer those out.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer