Help with GBP

Hello,

I wish to make a backport for Bookworm of Mosquitto 2.0.18-1, which is on Debian testing.

I joined the Debian IOT Team, specifying I would like to make this backport, which has been accepted.

I read some documentation for GBP, but I am unable to have the same result as the Mosquitto package VCS [1].

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/debian-iot-team/mosquitto

First of all, I switched to the branch debian/stable/master where last bookworm backport is.

Then I merged the tag debian/2.0.18-1 to have all commits until the version I wish to backport.

Firstly, when running gbp dch --bpo I cannot pass also the --commit-msg or any commit related switch because "* unreleased" is added to the changes list below "* Rebuild for bookworm-backports".

How can I avoid it?

To avoid it temporarily, I simply used dch --bpo which made things as usual for me.
But I really want to use gbp in the cleanest way.

Then I build the package with gbp build-package to check if all is OK.

I thought to automatically add the tag but I cannot obtain the same kind of log there is in the VCS.

In the VCS there is the commit for the changelog, then another commit which contains the changes in its message, but this does not modify any file. I use Git a lot but it is the first time I encounter a commit which modify nothing.

Could someone explain it to me?
I am totally lost with GBP, more I read documentation and less I feel I really understand something.

I made a merge request [2] because I am not sure at all, I only feel I made disorder. I have already proposed some backports before, not using GBP. I thought I would have understood by reading some docs I found but I really need help to understand why and what I did wrong and how to do right.
[2]: https://salsa.debian.org/debian-iot-team/mosquitto/-/merge_requests/12

I hop I explained correctly these things which are confused for me.
As a beginner I thought these beginner question could have their place on this list.

Best regards.
--
Patrick ZAJDA