Re: Questions about creating package with epoch number

Hi Debbie,

Am 13.10.22 um 17:16 schrieb Debora Velarde:

I have been trying to create an update to an existing package.  It currently doesn't use an epoch number and I need to add on

Just for more contest: Which package are you talking about, and why do you think you'll require to introduce an epoch?

A couple questions:

 1.   Is there a good package that uses an epoch number that I could
    look to for an example?

The package "python-django" comes to my mind, which is now at epoch 3, and also has some explanation in its changelog at https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/p/python-django/python-django_4.1.2-1_changelog.

 2. When I create the tarball, would the epoch number be included in the
    name of the package subdirectory?

No, the epoch is just in the debian/changelog and - if you have any dependencies - in debian/control.

Best regards,
  Alexander