Re: adduser claims existing diretory in postinst when running piuparts for shiny-server

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 06:41:18PM -0400, Matt Barry wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-05-20 at 09:58 +0200, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
> > Yup, see also
> > https://lintian.debian.org/tags/maintainer-script-lacks-home-in-adduser
>
> Just a quick FYI: this will have real consequences in the next release
> of adduser; system accounts created without --home will be set to
> /nonexistent.

Also, a row of bug reports have been created for adduser in result of
the discussion that was initiated on debian-devel earlier this year. And
there are real people, such as Matt, working on them, so adduser is
going to get better.

There is also a wishlist bug against policy clarifying account
management in maintainer scripts.

The bug reports also give a pretty good overview about what adduser will
do, so interested package maintainers are invited to sift through them
and maybe adapt their maintainer scripts.

In addition, as one of the adduser maintainers, I am open to questions
and suggestions.

Greetings
Marc