Re: How to troubleshoot conffile files problems

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 11:09 PM Tong Sun
<suntong001@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 10:46 AM Tong Sun wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having problem with my conffile files, see
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=995769
> >
> > I.e.,
> >
> > ----
> > grep: /etc/dbab/dbab.list-: No such file or directory
> > cat: /etc/dbab/dbab.addr: No such file or directory
> > ----

Oh, sorry Andrey, I didn't notice your following reply. sorry

> Well those errors are clearly caused by dbab.maintscript saying
> "rm_conffile /etc/dbab", while /etc/dbab is indeed a directory and not a
> file. So it would be helpful if you told us what were you trying to do by
> this. If this is about #958900 then rm_conffile is *not* about removing
> files on purge.

The following is what I were trying to do, and yes, I hoped that it
can be used to fix #958900, as well as doing the following:

> OK, I want to remove all conffile files and reinstall the new ones
> when doing package upgrade, as there isn't much user intervention to
> those conffile files. All are provided by the package.
>
> So I do `rm_conffile` to the old conffile files when doing package
> upgrade, but the new conffile files provided by the new upgrading
> package did not get installed afterwards, before they were used.
>
> > They should be there but I have no idea why they are not.
>
> That's why they are there if doing fresh package installation but they
> are not there if doing package upgrade.
>
> How to properly handle conffile files in such a case?
>

> You should remove them manually in postrm, but only on
> purge.

How to do that please?

I see some scripts under https://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling
that can handle such / specific cases, but there is also a claim of
"since dpkg 1.15.7.2 this can be done using dpkg-maintscript-helper".

So, I have 4 ~ 6 conffile files, how to remove them manually in postrm
but only on purge pls?

> Unrelated, but is the package doesn't function without files downloaded
> from Internet, and even downloads them in postinst, then it should go to
> contrib. Should I file a bug about this?

Please don't yet, as I totally don't understand what you want me to
do, now. Unless you can send me a patch, please let me get this thing
over first.