How to package a library only used with LD_PRELOAD?

Dear mentors,

I've been working on packaging libstrangle:
https://salsa.debian.org/Huitsi/libstrangle

The library is only meant to be used with LD_PRELOAD and not linked with at build-time, but an upstream script assumes the lib is in the ld search path. To my understanding of the policy, this would mean having to comply with "8. Shared libraries" despite the library really not being suited for it. I'd rather patch the script than make the library comply with shared library policy but I'm unsure how to do that in a multiarch-compatible way.

Am I reading the situation correctly and if so, how should I solve it?

Thanks in advance,
Linus Vanas