Re: Upgrading the Debian Policy

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Dominik George wrote:

> Sorry to disapoint you, but you should read *all of* DPM before passing
> a package for upload to a sponsor or to mentors.

I don't think we have never expected that new maintainers read policy
before creating a package. The Debian member who uploads the package
is the one who is supposed to check for policy violations and other
issues and ask the maintainer to correct the issues, pointing out
reasons (such as particular policy sections) for fixing the issues. Of
course it is appreciated if the maintainers check their packages
against policy and other manual and automatic checklists but I never
required it of people I was sponsoring and I don't think Debian as a
whole has either. Reading policy is obviously one of the requirements
to become a Debian member who can upload to the archive though. Some
checklists:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html
http://mentors.debian.net/intro-reviewers