Re: New Developer Request

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 22:04:00 -0700
Ramesh <rramesh1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went over the currently open buglist to see if I could contribute by
> fixing some of them to start with. One of the questions I had is some
> bugs are platform specific / hardware specific.
>
> For eg:
>
> BUG: soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for 61s! (AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core)

What's the bug number? (Never mention bugs without the bug number).

Why choose that bug to look at in the first place? You have to choose a
bug that you have some chance of fixing.

There are lots of bugs that are easier to fix than this one.

> To reproduce the problem, fix & test it - you need to have access to
> this specific processor? or are there machines out there owned by
> specific project groups with a serial access to work on such problems?

One machine for each supported architecture is available to DD's but
only via remote SSH access.

> The reason am asking this is that quite obviously not everyone will
> have access to specific hardware, in such case how developers fix such
> specific problems??

By careful requests for specific information from the person who does
have such hardware and by a thorough knowledge of the codebase to work
out if something that is not directly hardware-specific is actually the
problem but is just being "hidden" on more common hardware. e.g. this
could be a race condition but as you didn't provide the bug number,
no-one can help with that specific problem.

--

Neil Williams