Re: Man pages and UTF-8

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 05:08:53PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Ben Finney wrote:
> >
> > > (Assuming, of course, that I'm correct in saying lenny is supposed to
> > > support UTF-8 throughout, and that failure to do so is a bug.)
> >
> > Can somebody else confirm this? A few days ago I saw
> > that /usr/share/dict/{wspanish,wamerican} are ISO-8859 (which means they
> > can't be cat'ted in a UTF-8 terminal, and I would like to know if this is a
> > bug.
>
> This is more specific, but less hopeful:
>
>     * UTF-8 debian/changelog and debian/control
>       Advocate: Russ Allbery
>       Release-Team-Contact: ??
>        files which don't use UTF-8. These are easily found by lintian via
>        debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding and
>        debian-control-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding.
>       Bug-Tag: utf8-control
>       State: confirmed
>
>     <URL:http://release.debian.org/lenny-goals.txt>
>
> No other mention of UTF-8. It seems,

I agree.

> then, that we'll have to wait
> until after lenny for the "utf8-man" (or, even better, "utf8") bug
> tag.

This is a good cause.  Maybe we should propose this but not to request
as lenny goal o be realistic.

There are many editors/viewers which do not handle UTF-8 in Debian too.
They should get this bug too :-)

I just uploaded new debiandoc-sgml which is (supposed to be) UTF-8 capable.

But changing encodings of Doc package is a bit tricky since if I
overwrite the existing source with newly encoded data, the diff becomes
useless.  Transltion tracking tends to use this. So data conversion is
tricky thing.

Osamu