Re: lintian warning: debconf-is-not-a-registry

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 05:54:20PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> Martin,
>
> > W: mcbsam: debconf-is-not-a-registry ./usr/sbin/mcbsam-configure
>
> You should not use debconf outside of the config and postinst (and
> possibly preinst) scripts. What you really mean to do is to merge the
> setup script into the postinst and let the user reconfigure the package
> with dpkg-reconfigure. The rationale behind this is that only at the
> time the postinst is called from dpkg-{p,}reconfigure you are guaranteed
> that the values the config script stored in the debconf db are still
> there (dpkg-reconfigure will call the config script again).

Thanks.  The reason I put this in a separate script was because it was
suggested in Policy; it's only really intended to be run from my postinst
and I thought perhaps that going by the end of the lintian output, "Other
exceptions to this check include configuration scripts called from the
package's post-installation script," this was OK.

--
Martin Orr
Linux Administrator,