Re: Lintian error: executable-in-usr-doc

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > E: mh-book: executable-in-usr-doc
> > >   usr/doc/mh-book/html/download/split/mh/bin/incs 0755
> > >
> > > So, can I let these example scripts be executable, or not?
> >
> > Examples should go in /usr/doc/<package>examples/ . Lintian will not
> > complain about executables in that directory.
>
> I don't see a good reason why they could not be put directly in
> /usr/doc/<package> in case there are only a few of them.
>
> If allowing this requires to change policy, then I think we should change
> policy.

I second this notion.  I wrote a script for the wanpipe package that
checks to see if the kernel patches have been applied, and does this if
needed.  It really doesn't belong in /usr/doc/$package/examples, but I put
it there to get lintian to be quiet.  I don't think that it belongs
anywhere else - I definitely don't want to clutter up /usr/sbin with it,
and I don't think that it should be in /etc/wanpipe either.

Comments?  Ideas?

tmancill@us.lhsgroup.com  | Somehow I reached excess without ever noticing
Network Admin - LHS Group | when I was passing through satisfaction...