Re: RRID update on salsa on packages starting with A+B

Hi Tony,

On 4/3/18 1:59 PM, Tony Travis wrote:
On 03/04/18 11:27, Steffen Möller wrote:
[...]
This is a bit of a side-track from the core of this thread. Maybe we
would have Tony describing our achievements one they are manifesting in
Bio-Linux. And if we have a look at
https://salsa.debian.org/dashboard/milestones ? Maybe we can use those
as an anchor for achievements from which news could be generated in an
easier way, not necessarily by us.
[...]

Yes, I would be happy to do that.

Yippee.

I see five bits, there may be more:

A) New bits for Bio-Linux that its new release features

B) New bits for Bio-Linux that shall be coming at some future point

C) New bits for Debian and its derivative distributions that have been established

D) New bits for Debian and its derivative distributions that are currently being worked on

E) New bits for Debian and its derivatives that are currently being discussed on the Sprint(s) or mailing list(s).

In an ideal world we would see a lot moving from E to A and from B to E, so the effort to describe this all would be mostly done only once :) I know, it will not work, let alone because the audiences are different.

In my PoV there is not too much of a conceptional difference between porting to Bio-Linux and having backports within Debian. We need to address both. Just who should do all that.

Since Debian Med takes about every opportunity that it is just a regular part of Debian, we somehow do not have any home page since there is the Debian home page already. As such there is also no such thing like a page where to distribute any Debian Med-specific news. Closest is possibly

https://blends.debian.org/med/ and http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/ .

Nobody truly wants to read through our Wiki page on https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed .

We have http://debianmed.blogspot.de/ with latest news from 2014.

So, I have no immediate idea about how to improve on it all.

I'm now only doing minimal maintenance work on Bio-Linux 8, based on
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty) while I start work on Bio-Linux 9, based on
Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS (Bionic). I've got the 18.04 Ubuntu-MATE beta .iso
and I've started work remastering it for Bio-Linux using "customizer":

https://github.com/kamilion/customizer
I cannot judge. The readme reads fine.
I plan to base Bio-Linux 9 on Debian-Med + Bioconda

That is good. Please consider to also install the singularity and docker
clients. And the cwltool.

and would like to
start adding Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) versions of Debian-Med packages to
the Debian-Med PPA if nobody objects. I also want to drop ALL the 'bad'
NEBC packages (i.e. the binary-only packages that Bela and Tim used
initially to migrate from Debian testing (Sarge) to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.
Yip.
I've listened to Andreas: I intend to create a "bio-linux-desktop"
meta-package modelled on the Debian-Med/Bio* tasks that are now being
updated to include some 'missing' packages that were only in Bio-Linux.

We should think about adding the version in Ubuntu and Bio-Linux to show up among the versions in the task pages. I would not know how to implement that, admittedly.

Best,

Steffen