Re: How to handle freeimage package

Hi Ola,

On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 11:11:15PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:

> What I typically do is to read the description, and the referenced
> material to see if the reporter seems to make sense. If there is a fix
> available read the fix. The fix typically give a lot of information.
> In this case there were no fix, only a reproducer and backtrace
> description. They seemed to make sense and therefore I postponed the
> ones that were mentioned as DoS class in the same way as the other
> issues had been postponed when they were of the same class.

I think that it may help to take a step back and look at the big picture
with freeimage.

- 42 "vulnerable" or "no-dsa" CVEs dating back to 2019 in the security
  tracker
- 6 of those are "Minor issue" for (old)stable
- the other 36 are "Revisit when fixed upstream"
- upstream is dormant (maybe dead?)

In this particular instance, it seems like a waste of time to dig into
individual CVEs for the purpose of triage. Ask yourself, what is to be
gained by spending time doing a detailed triage of each CVE?

What does seem to make sense is (again, in this particular instance):

- copy the secteam triage decision for buster for the CVEs that have not
  yet been triaged for buster
- move on to the next package (since none of the CVEs have fixes
  available)

That said, it would be valid for someone who is an LTS contributor to
try to tackle developing fixes for these CVEs (and then also get them
submitted upstream and prepare appropriate patches for (old)stable as
well). But I also wouldn't blame anyone for looking at this package and
thinking that it would be too much trouble.

The point, however, is that triage is not meant to consume a great deal
of resources. If we were looking at a package with 2 or 3 recent CVEs,
then spending some amount of time triaging those CVEs makes sense. It
would be necessary to determine their severity because 2 or 3 CVEs of a
minor severity may not justify producing an update. In a case like that,
assuming that fixes are available, then marking the CVEs "postponed" and
waiting for more CVEs to accumulate would potentially be a sensible
course of action.

However, looking at a package with dozens of CVEs is a different matter.
It is necessary to scale the triage approach to a level appropriate for
the package under consideration. An exercise of judgment is required in
triage just as it is in the other aspects of dealing with a CVE,
developing/backporting patches, testing the fix, guarding against
regression, etc.

Put another way, the state of freeimage is such that one of these two
things should happen:

- what I suggested above (copy secteam decisions and move on to the next
  package)
- dive in and start developing fixes to the individual CVEs

Either way, expending the tremendous effort that we have expended on the
specific triage decisions strikes me as a poor use of time.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez