Re: fix squirrelmail bug 775720 in jessie

On 2018-08-31 19:42:15, Abhijith PA wrote:
> Hello Matus
>
> On Friday 31 August 2018 05:25 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the debian bug 775720 for squirrelmail was closed by debian maintainer
>> because squirrelmail was removed from archive.
>>
>> However, there were security 3 updates to squirrelmail since, and I've had
>> to fix the same bug (apply the same patch) 3 times after each update.
>>
>> Does it sound logical to apply the mentioned patch to squirrelmail, should
>> that happen again?
>>
>> Thank you
>
> I don't see any problem in merging that patch to the package. I will
> consider that on next security update of squirrelmail.
>
> But lets hear what other LTS members have to say :)

We normally don't apply such patches to LTS unless they fix a
release-critical bug. This bug is marked as "normal" so I am not sure
it's worthy of such a change. But it might have been misfiled! It does
seem like a major regression for non-ASCII languages, something I am
obviously sensitive to. ;)

That said, I would also be very careful about merging patches in LTS
that have not been merged upstream. Considering upstream is dead, it
might make that difficult, but extra careful consideration should then
be applied if we merge at all.

Cheers,

A.

--
The destiny of Earthseed is to take root among the stars.
                        - Octavia Butler