Re: .disk/info should contain flavour/version of live image

Hey Roland!

rclobus@rclobus.nl wrote:

>On 21/06/2023 20:57, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
>> with the bookworm live images, the format of the .disk/info file on
>> the iso images has been modified, for example:
>>
>>     bullseye:
>>     # mount -o loop debian-live-11.2.0.amd64-kde+nonfree.iso /mnt
>>     $ cat /mnt/.disk/info
>>     Official Debian GNU/Linux Live 11.2.0 kde 2021-12-18T13:54
>>
>>     bookworm:
>>     # mount -o loop debian-live-12.0.0.amd64-gnome.iso /mnt
>>     $ cat /mnt/.disk/info
>>     Debian GNU/Linux 12 "Bookworm" - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary
>20230610-08:51
>>
>> The problem:  There is no way to find the image flavour
>> (gnome/kde/standard) of the image from .disk/info, it's identical for
>> all images.
>
>That kind of information is available during the build, and is available
>  after building at another location: in `live/filesystem.packages`
>there is a line with `live-task-kde` for KDE.
>With bookworm the tool to build the live images was changed from
>live-wrapper to live-build, hence the change.
>
>Do you know whether there is some standard for the .disk folder?

There isn't a great deal of information, I'm afraid - it's something
that we started using years ago for metadata for d-i media. The
current contents of the directory (as used on 12.0.0 installation
media) looks like:

 .disk/
    base_components  - lists the components in the image
    		       that base-installer should look for
    base_installable - a flag file - if present, all the packages for
                       the base system are in the image
    cd_type          - used by apt-setup to work out the type of image
    		       (and the set it came from), so it can DTRT in terms
		       of asking about a mirror, etc.
    id/<UUID>        - a unique (empty) file, used to allow grub to find
                       the correct disk safely when it boots
    info             - human-readable information about the image,
                       generated by the build. This should be clear
		       and descriptive.
    mkisofs          - contains the complete command line used to
                       generate the ISO image, so people can reproduce/rebuild
		       it later
    udeb_include     - (optionally) lists udebs that should be installed by default
    udeb_exclude     - (optionally) lists udebs that should *not* be installed by default

Current live images include most of these, which is good - that helps
d-i to use the media too! However, as noted the info file is missing
some of the data people might expect. Current amd64 netinst says:

  Debian GNU/Linux 12.0.0 "Bookworm" - Official amd64 NETINST with firmware 20230610-10:21

while the current gnome live iso says:

  Debian GNU/Linux 12 "Bookworm" - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20230610-08:51

In the older bullseye live images, we used to have:

  Official Debian GNU/Linux Live 11.7.0 gnome 2023-04-29T16:30

It would be nice to be able to tweak this in live-build, to contain
more information:

 * Full version number
 * image type / desktop

< sladen> I actually stayed in a hotel and arrived to find a post-it
          note stuck to the mini-bar saying "Paul: This fridge and
          fittings are the correct way around and do not need altering"