Re: Creating a multiboot live pendrive that works under EFI/UEFI

On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 16:48 +0100, Mikhail Morfikov wrote:
> Does Ubuntu build their live images in some unusual way (or maybe
> Debian does)?
>
> Also I tested Linux Mint, and it works well too. So it looks only
> Debian ISOs are affected.

I don't know the answer to your problem offhand. Building of images
however is done with different tools (scripts) for each project, so
there can be numerous potential differences.

For Debian, there are two tools - live-build and live-wrapper. live-
build is the oldest; back when I was working on contributions for it in
2015 it was the only one, and supposedly used by the actual Debian guys
who release the official live discs. live-wrapper is something newer,
dating back only as far as ~2015; I am not familiar with it myself, but
got a hint recently from some comment someone made that the release
team might be using that now.

Ubuntu when I last checked had a very old version (3.x) of live-build
in their repo. I have no idea what they actually use to build their
releases though; it certainly cannot be that very old version of live-
build unless they've customised it, since EFI support did not exist in
it until v5.x. I have no idea about Linux Mint.

Understand that live-build is a collection of shell scripts which
themselves make use of many tools like debootstrap and xorriso to
produce the images, and as I say, many differences are possible.