Re: live-build copyright notices

On Wed, 2020-03-11 at 09:57 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020, jnqnfe@gmail.com wrote:
> > since Daniel Baumann abandoned the live-build project a few years
> > ago,
> > should the copyright notices not now be updated to reflect this?,
> > i.e.
>
> Can you show precisely how you would like to reflect this?
>
> I don't think that we want to add many individuel copyright notices.
> We can probably update the line "Copyright (C) 2016 The Debian Live
> team"
> with "Copyright (C) 2016-2020 The Debian Live team" for example.
>
> Is that what you mean?
>
> Cheers,

I could not find an existing string "Copyright (C) 2016 The Debian Live
team" in the codebase, so I'm not sure what you were referring to
there.

I mean for instance, taking a random file from scripts/build/, that the
notice should change from:

```
## live-build(7) - System Build Scripts
## Copyright (C) 2006-2015 Daniel Baumann <mail@daniel-baumann.ch>
##
## This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see
COPYING.
## This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
## under certain conditions; see COPYING for details.
```

to:
```
## live-build(7) - System Build Scripts
## Copyright (C) 2016 The Debian Live team
## Copyright (C) 2006-2015 Daniel Baumann <mail@daniel-baumann.ch>
##
## This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see
COPYING.
## This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
## under certain conditions; see COPYING for details.
```

the precise details of whether or not an email address is included, and
whether or not the date should read 2016-2020 instead of just 2016 can
do with consideration.

the second part to the question i proposed was whether or not this
should be taken one step further to actually include the typical GPL
licensing block that GPL licensed files usually carry as currently only
two live-build files do:

so:
```
## live-build(7) - System Build Scripts
## Copyright (C) 2016 The Debian Live team
## Copyright (C) 2006-2015 Daniel Baumann <mail@daniel-baumann.ch>
##
## This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
## it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
## the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
## (at your option) any later version.
##
## This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
## but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
## MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
## GNU General Public License for more details.
##
## You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
## along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>
;.
```

but i don't particularly like these large blocks and the much smaller
bit of text directing users to COPYING is probably perfectly
sufficient.

i've put together a commit to address the first thing in live-build at
least and i'll submit it in an MR in a moment. i'll then take a look at
the other live projects for a similar fix.