Re: Closing on the Jessie Cycle and Starting the Jessie+1 Cycle

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Ed Dixon <eddixonnm@gmail.com> wrote:
> One word: AWESOME!

On a personal note:

Hi Ed, good to see you are alive and kicking :)

It is always a pleasure to hear from you. Keep it up!!!

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Daniel Baumann
> <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've uploaded live-* 4.0.0 yesterday concluding the main jessie cycle
>> for debian-live. There will no doubtly be a few follow uploads with
>> translation updates, dropping of unmaintained translations from the
>> release, and bugfixes (most notably, there's one for live-config-systemd
>> missing).

I'll try to go straight to the point.

I will try to work on the translations as much as I can. I think
live-manual will be ready to be released in Catalan, French, Spanish,
Japanese, Polish and hopefully in Italian (there are still many fuzzy
strings and several untranslated strings in the Italian translation
but we will try to make it in time)

By the way, currently live-manual's commit target displays how many
complete languages there are. (There is a little bug in the script but
it can be easily fixed).

>> For jessie+1 the two major things will be the python rewrite of
>> live-build aiming at the best working/usable/documented tool to build
>> any images (installer/live/$vm) there ever was, and the switch to dracut
>> as the default initrd generator in live-boot alongside the ongoing (and
>> hopefully concluding) re-organization of the live-boot scripts we
>> started in the wheezy cycle.

I have to applaud the decision. The rewrite in python is a daunting
task. So it is a great idea (which greatly surprised me) to leave the
code to mature little by little until it is really ready for
production.

Thank you very much Daniel for your dedication to the project :)

--
chals
www.chalsattack.com