Make use of tmpfs to speed up build times?

Hello list,
  I have a machine with 6 GB of physical memory, and I'd like to use
it to speed up my build times with debian-live.  Can I use a hook
script to mount a tmpfs on chroot/chroot before duplicating the whole
directory?  This would probably speed things up a good bit.  The whole
chroot directory when a build is complete is about 4GB; is there any
reason this would be significantly larger during the build?

Thanks!
Will