Re: Apache/Rivet HTML manual generation practices

On 11/16/23 07:51, Paul Wise wrote:
On Wed, 2023-11-15 at 17:12 +0000, Massimo Manghi wrote:

I'm the upstream developer/maintainer of Apache/Rivet. I'm also the maintainer of
the corresponding Debian package (libapache2-mod-rivet).
Apache/Rivet source code ships with an HTML manual generated from
Docbook XML files. We regenerate the manual right before releasing and put it in
the tarball in order to save the Apache/Rivet user the task of figuring out what tools
are needed in order to recreate the HTML pages (being Docbook not so popular and not so
widely used now).

I expect most folks would be fine with the existing HTML manuals on the
website, but what about having the HTML manuals in a separate tarball
for the users who need them locally and don't want to build them?
In Debian the package HTML pages already go into the package libapache2-mod-rivet-doc for that reason.

https://tcl.apache.org/rivet/html/manuals.html
https://dlcdn.apache.org/tcl/rivet/binary/
https://wiki.debian.org/AutoGeneratedFiles

Thanks for the links. Even though I don't fully understand the reason behind the guidelines (the absolute requirement to build the documentation from the sources) at least the wiki page about the auto-generated files shows which directions one has to follow.

 regards

 -- Massimo