Hi Chris.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 09:55:52AM +0100, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> > I wonder whether we could this set from severity Warning to Pedandic.
>
> This was already done in:
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/commit/fd8ee67d96c713698f4c5e08eea0b0dafe02bdf4

Not really (as Gregor pointed out since Info is also on the radar).

> > […] So if you insist that this should be at severity warning I'll
> > probably rather add a lintian override automatically for all our
> > packages rather than automatically change the maintainer address.
>
> Maybe you've just caught me in a grumpy mood this morning, but
> personally I enjoy developing and maintaining Lintian a lot more when
> I don't feel I am being emotionally manipulated.

Thanks for the imediate response of your feelings.  That's very
appreciated to make sure social friction will not increase.  I admit
that I realise just now that my mail could be interpreted as emotional
manipulation.  This was by no means intended but may be I should think
about next time first about this kind of effect.

I rather was considering what the right course of action for our team
would be.  On one hand my goal is to have lintian clean packages up to
level Info.  On the other hand this lintian issue is not helpful for us
in general (but may be for others?)  So before anybody of the team might
start "fixing" the lintian issue and by doing so breaking some tools I
wanted to explain what might be a more sensible approach in *our* case.

Sorry that I had my focus only on the Debian Med team side and forgot
to consider lintian maintainers side.  As I told several times I really
appreciate your work since it is extremely helpful.

To give another example where we are using a "team wide"
lintian-override:

   https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/package_template/-/blob/master/debian/lintian-overrides

I admit I *personally* *really* hate this since I think I perfectly
subscribe all those good reasons to not add language extensions.  I've
written lots of mails to upstreams just to learn that I'm mostly
ignored.

If we follow this policy suggestion in our packages we are breaking so
much user applications that a part of our user base might consider
switching away from Debian.  So we are making this compromise in our
team *only* since it just does not fit.  However, this is by no means
against a very sensible lintian warning in Debian in general.

Kind regards and thanks again for maintaining lintian

    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de