Technical requirements for upstream license specification

Hello,

I'd like to package [1] a program which is GPLv2+ licensed, but as far as I can tell, this fact is only stated in a couple [2] of [3] lines of its setup.py build script. This is a bit of an obscure way to state the license for my taste. However before I bother the upstream maintainer about this, I would like to double check that the Debian project actually has requirements for something more explicit to be present in the upstream source. It's been a while since I packaged something, and I only have vague recollection that there were such rules, but maybe I'm confusing them with GNU packaging rules... Is it written down anywhere?

regards,
Marcin

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1022074
[2] https://github.com/Rudd-O/ledgerhelpers/blob/4d30fa43a99dc9f98b46d805480b120218c377aa/setup.py#L26