Re: Subject: firmware for broadcom drivers.

0wn is indeed the program you're looking for to install Knoppix to
hard-drive, though it has many shortcomings compared to the Debian
Installer, including, but not limited to:
-No easy way of setting up a separate home partition or wiping just a
root partition from an old Linux install and using a pre-existing home
partition(The automatic partitioning has never worked for me, the use
whole harddrive option just creates root and swap partitions, and I've
never been able to figure out the manual partitioner that is bundled
in 0wn).
-No creation of user accounts/root password, which results in an
unusually low amount of security for a hard drive install, especially
on multi-user computers.
-No way of picking and choosing what gets installed, and experience is
that anything beyond minor changes to the live system will cause the
install to fail. This usually translates to several hours of
post-install bloat removal whenever I do a clean install(and has lead
me to making partimage backups of my system every so often so I don't
have to do clean installs everytime my tinkering introduces a
system-breaking bug I can't recover from).

As for getting the missing firmware on Vanilla Debian, my suggestions
would be as follows:
1. Ensure you have contrib and non-free repositories enabled(On a
fresh Debian install, check /etc/apt/sources.list and change any line
beginning with deb or deb-src and ending with main so it ends with
main contrib non-free. This will require root privileges and will
allow your package manager to see software available from the Debian
repositories that don't meet Debain's definition of free software,
including several proprietary drivers and firmware packages.)
2. If adding contrib and non-free repositories to your Debian
sources.list doesn't work, you could try adding the Knoppix
repository(you can find the appropriate line for it in Knoppix's
sources.list) and see if the firmware in question is among
Knoppix-specific packages available from the repository. Since most of
Knoppix is sourced from the official Debian repositories, installing
Knoppix-specific packages on Debian from the Knoppix repositories
should work in theory, but I make no guarantees.
3. If neither of these work, the firmware in question is probably
provided by a Knoppix-specific package that only exists within the
Knoppix live image. You could try using dpkg-repack to build a deb
from the installed copy, but I've never had any success with this
method.

As I understand it, Debian has contrib and non-free disabled by
default and that is where most drivers/firmware for hardware not
supported out of the box in Debian can be found. Knoppix, putting
hardware compatibility before adherence to the Free Software
philosophy not only has these repositories enabled by default, but
comes with a lot of drivers from these repositories pre-installed.