Re: Touchscreen Ultrabooks running Debian?

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 09:50:58PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Carl Fink wrote:
> > OK, that terrible and confusing name was picked by upstream. Thanks.
> >
> > You know, the kernel project doesn't have to use a terrible,
> > misleading name because AMD says so.
>
> I don't understand.  It doesn't seem terrible.  What is misleading
> about the name?  Also any alternative that I can brainstorm is worse.

What's misleading? It says "AMD" on the label but it means "many CPUs only
some of which are made by AMD." You don't see it as misleading because
you're too familiar with the very specialized meaning of the term (a
specific CPU _technology_ invented by AMD) but to anyone coming from outside
that tiny club you belong to (such as me) it's clearly meant for AMD
processors.

I'm not exactly low-tech here. I'm a former system administrator and
occasional computer journalist. I just haven't studied the details of CPUs
for several years.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!