Re: problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

Paolo wrote:

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:58:31PM +0100, Paolo wrote:
On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:15:11PM +0100, Bernard wrote:

According to what I have read, the 'orinoco' driver that is supposed to also work for my 'intersil prism2' pcmcia card, does not support WPA.

hm, but checking your wpa_supp logs I notice:

Scan results: 2
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
0: 00:90:4b:c3:7d:42 ssid='Livebox-46db' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
 skip - no WPA/RSN IE
1: 00:16:41:65:93:51 ssid='Alice-c685' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
 skip - no WPA/RSN IE
No suitable AP found.

are you sure your AP is set to WPA?

Sure it is. At this very moment, I am wirelessly connected with this desktop (using a ralink card under Debian Sarge), and my config file (/etc/network/interfaces) is as follows :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp
pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid Livebox-46db
pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="779xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAD"

the pasword (or passphrase, don't exactly know how it is called: 26 char) is the same that I use with my laptop and pcmcia card ; it connects all right on this desktop, not with the laptop.

Oh, by the way, I am going to ask a stupid question: on the desktop, I have both an Ethernet card and a Wireless card (Wifi card) inside... while on the laptop I have never more than one pcmcia card at a time, either the Ethernet card (that one - D-Link 660 - works all right and provide good cable connexions to my DSL box and to the Internet), or the WiFi card. Indeed, at one time I got the idea to carry a test with the Ethernet card in slot 1 and the WiFi card in slot 2... but nothing worked, I couldn't even reboot with both cards in: the boot process got stuck in the middle.

So, I hope that wifi connexions on laptops are supposed to work with just a wifi card, and not an Ethernet card on top...

I went inside my DSL box, using Firefox in root mode, with http://192.168.1.1, that allowed me to check once more the parameters:

Amongst other informations, this :

wireless network service : 802.11g
easy pairing : ON