postinstallation: drive_cmd: seek complete error

Hello,

I installed debian (netinstall) on a T61 Thinkpad which worked fine until I
booted my system after the installation.

The monitor turns blank after a few seconds and the system did not respond
anymore. It tooks me a few reboots to read the last error message.

setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)
hda: drive_cmd: status=8x51 (DriveReady SekkCompleter Error)
hda: drive_cmd: error=8x84 (AbortedCommand)
???. failed opcode ??: 8xef
??IO_Drive_CMD failed: Input/output error

I couldn't read the ? parts but if they are important I can reboot again and
try to read it before the screen turns blank.

I found some hits with the similar error messages but not during boot or after
the first boot at all.

Any idea how to solve this? Reinstall debian from another media? T61 are
supported as far as I know (lots of pages describing the installation).

TIA, Martin