Re: Why initrd ?

easier portability would be the only thing I can think of.  For example,  I
had 2 laptops, One is faster and used for demos.  The second one is a little
slower and is just used for remote connectivity wit the office.  I had
complete battery failure on the faster one.  No time to get another before
people had to leave for the demo.  I switched the hard drive that has a
complete setup, ready to go to the other laptop.  I made a couple fo quick
changes and verified settings and it was ready to go.  I did not have to
configure, compile, package, and install a kernel to do so.  This is great
because laptop compile speeds stink.  I have also used distcc for this but
still the process is fairly long.  This is just one example.  Changing out
motherboards would be another.  It removes a bit of hassle and lends some
flexibility.

Robert