Re: Wifi & usbmouse: From Sarge to Etch

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 00:02:19 +0200, Lars wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had a perfect working Sarge installation and decided to upgrade to
> Etch. My laptop is a Asus M6Ne running a custom 2.6.11.10 patched to
> improve my synaptics touchpad.
> After the upgrade i couldn't get XOrg to start, but after googling
> around i reinstalled hotplug instead of udev. To be honest i don't
> know the difference, but the core-pointer error stopped.

udev provides "new way" to manage the device entries in /dev/. The
hotplug package is a collection of scripts to support pluggable devices
(e.g. automatically loading kernel modules and firmware when a device is
plugged in). The old version of udev on Sarge required hotplug, the new
version of udev on Etch replaces hotplug and incorporates equivalent
functionality. You can run an Etch system without udev, but you have to
know what you are doing. All new Debian kernel images require that you
have udev as far as I know. A core-pointer error is an X configuration
problem; removing udev is therefore most likely not a good way to deal
with it.

> Unfortunately i still have two major problems.
>
> 1) Wifi
> I'm using the ngolde script, http://ngolde.de/laptop.html, to start
> my wifi. If you have a working ipw2200 WIFI-nic on Etch. I would
> like to know how, kernel and driver version.
> 	The error is:
> 	Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
>     	SET failed on device eth1 ; No such device.
> 	Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
>     	SET failed on device eth1 ; No such device.
>
> 	DMesg:
> 	ipw2200: ipw-2.2-boot.fw load failed: Reason -2
> 	ipw2200: Unable to load firmware: 0xFFFFFFFE
> 	ipw2200: failed to register network device
> 	ipw2200: probe of 0000:02:02.0 failed with error -5

Where did you put the firmware? If the firmware is on your system and it is
not loaded: That might be caused by the fact that udev is missing.

> 2) usbmouse
> My plain 3 button Logitech mouse isn't working. All usb-modules and
> mouse modules are built into the kernel. If I cat /dev/psaux or
> /dev/input/mouse1, i get an output when moving the mouse. But when
> the device is writing into xorg.conf, there is still no response in X.
> 	Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "usbMouse"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol"          "ImPS/2"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping"      "4 5"
>         Option      "Device"            "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "Buttons"           "5"
> 	EndSection

Did you try to put one of the above mentioned devices into your
xorg.conf? I have an Asus M2400N laptop; here are my xorg.conf snippets
for the usb mouse and the synaptics touchpad:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
        Option          "LeftEdge"              "1900"
        Option          "RightEdge"             "5400"
        Option          "TopEdge"               "1900"
        Option          "BottomEdge"            "4000"
        Option          "FingerLow"             "25"
        Option          "FingerHigh"            "30"
        Option          "MaxTapTime"            "180"
        Option          "MaxTapMove"            "220"
        Option          "VertScrollDelta"       "100"
        Option          "MinSpeed"              "0.02"
        Option          "SHMConfig"             "on"
EndSection

I have used these settings with a kernel compiled from unpatched Debian
sources (from 2.6.8 up to 2.6.16 at the moment) and I never had a
problem with either mouse or touchpad.

--
Regards,
          Florian