Re: very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

I ran into this same thing when I was setting up my media center.  I
resolved it by changing the version of mplayer I was using to a more
optimized version (from 386 to 686) and am currently using mplayer-nogui
1.0-pre7 which has been working quite well.

HTH,

Seth