Re: xserver-xorg hangs with radeon / ati driver

André Wendt wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>  flgrx is delivered as only binary and Ati says that this binary driver
>
> will only work for 6.8, it is not a constraint from xorg.
>
> I don't think so. Since ATI drivers are proprietary, it is up to Debian to
> classify the dependencies. And there are a couple of people out there
> using the latest fglrx from ATI with X.Org 6.9 even though they don't
> support it. Never mind, I don't need fglrx as everything works in X.Org
> 6.8.
>

>>  I found that the xorg 6.8 locked my system (desktop) so I had to upgrde
>>to 6.9 and no problems now with a Radeon X600. Are you using composite?
>
> I > would advise to put it off in case of problems. And in case of more
>
>>problems I would disable all accelarations just to try to debug the
>>problem Option "NoAccel" in the xorg.conf.
>

> I'm running X.Org 6.8 now and everything's fine, just like before the
> upgrade. No more debugging necessary. I wasn't using composite.

  Are you sure you are using the radeon driver or just the vesa or like. The
problems with me were with the radeon driver. Vesa worked but it's not the same
fun. ;)

>>  FYI, I use 1280x1024.
>

> I have 1400x1050 and 1280x1024 as ModeLine in my xorg.conf, but the vesa
> driver ignores it. GNOME doesn't let me set the resolution to something
> higher than 1024x768, either. How do you get 1280x1024?

Just including the

    SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection

  for example. It didn't caused me problems, but remember I use the radeon driver.

>>  As I told you before I wouldn't use 6.8 for this card.
>

> Doesn't matter. I've been using 6.8 with this card (FireGL T2 Mobile) for
> two months now and have had no problems. The upgrade to 6.9 _brought_ the
> problem, so I downgraded again.

  Maybe it's not the same problems on you model, remember I own a X600 which is
one of the latest and more problematics.

> Regards,
> André

  Regards,

- --