Thinkpad + acpid: Shutting down when running low on battery

Hi again,

whenever I am on batteries, my battstat-applet in GNOME warns me if
there's only 5% of capacity left. However, that's still 10-15 minutes
which I want to use to save battery life -- I'm afraid plugging the cable
in too early is going to waste the battery (correct me if I'm wrong here).
In those 10-15 minutes I tend to forget the warning while working, so I
ended up with a blank screen twice before.

My question: Is there any possibility to tell GNOME to save the session
and shutdown when the battery runs low and thus save my work?

Thanks,
André