Re: sony tx1xp fan control

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:09:39 +0000
Minty <mintywalker@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I bought a sony vaio tx1xp a couple of months back, wiped 'doz and
> installed Kubuntu.
>
> Lovely as pie, and I am a very happy bunny.  If anyone wants the
> details, see [1]
>
> However, the fan turns on/off every few seconds, and it is starting to
> annoy me.  Even when running on a battery and the CPU is doing nada.
>
> So ... I have googled and poked around the acpi drivers as best I can,
> but I'm stuck.
>
> Any pointers on how I can control the fan on this thing?
>
> M.
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/d8fjs
>
> ps. the laptop rocks.  highly recommended unless a large screen is
> something you find important.

I do 'echo 3 > /proc/acpi/fan/FAN/state' to stop it (which also puts it back in auto mode). The sub-dirs will vary, but you need to find the corresponding state file of your fan (somewhere in /proc/acpi/) and echo the state (which also depends on the laptop). By the way, i have a HP Omnibook 6000

HTH
Andrei

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)