Solved: Re: Nvidia + dual head

Hi,
A report on what seems a surprisingly fast success.

I always thought that setting up two screens would be quite a simple configuration. But I have found much more documentation on Xinerama. Playing about with multiple cards in a PC, I could get 1 desktop spread out but not multiple ones. With new cards like NVidia's with twinview esp. mobile ones, I thought perhaps that it wouldn't let me have two screens, that only cloned or spanning desktops might be allowed. However this is not true and info on this also appears in Appendix 'P' of the NVidia driver README. Extra notes are needed though.

My Setup:
Compaq Presario R3000 running a 64bit kernel 2.6.13
NVidia GeForce4 420 Go (either 32 or 64MB, it can't decide)
NVidia Drivers version 1.0.7676
Xorg version 6.8.2
Laptop screen: WXGA LCD capable of 1280x800
External Monitor: CRT capable of 1024x768 (probably more)

When I threw Alexei's config at it (after changing the keyboard) I was surprised that it set up my synaptics touchpad, I thought I'd need to copy the setup from my current one. Also I didn't need to tell it the modeline for the 1280x800 screen.

What did need adjusting was this.
The NVidia chip automatically detects what monitors are attached. This meant that both "devices" detected both "monitors" and they showed the same desktop, both swapping when scrolling over the edge. (They were of different viewport sizes though)

Setting
	Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT,DFP"
made the external monitor show the two screens, swapping correctly, and made the laptop screen display some pretty but also frightening patterns that looked like it was slowly burning from the corners.
Removing this option and inserting
	Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
(and "DFP" respectivly) in the devices has sorted it all out.

I now have the 1280x800 on my laptop and 1024x768 on the external and the mouse swaps between them. Just what I wanted.

Many Thanks,
Hugh

Attached is my new xorg.conf file.

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
#
# To change things within the debconf section, run the command:
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# as root.  Also see "How do I add custom sections to a dexconf-generated
# XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"gb"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"