Re: Colored anti-aliasing. How do I stop it?

on 6/1/05 11:53 AM, Andrew McMillan wrote:
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 00:11 -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
Does anybody have a solution for this that prevents coloer anti-aliasing on monochrome text?

I've not used KDE, but under Gnome the configuration allows for subpixel
rendering settings of "RGB", "BGR", "VRGB" or "VBGR" and you have to
pick the right one for your laptop.  I think it's BGR in almost all
cases (that's certainly what it is on my Thinkpad).

X11 font rendering is often xft's job. the settings can basically be altered by editing the following files (many things to tweak there apart from anti-aliasing):

/etc/X11/XftConfig     (for rendering via xft)
/etc/fonts/local.conf  (xft2, for more current software)

you might need to instruct the gtk (gnome) or qt (kde) frameworks separately to consider Xft rendering settings.

searching the web for e.g. "debian fonts local.conf" reveals plentyful resources to draw information from.

best,

sascha

p.s.: please post your result to the list, if you are succesful.