Fwd: AirCard 750 / PCMCIA woes

oops, replied to Andrew instead of the mail list, sorry! :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lee Turner <lvturner@gmail.com>
Date: Apr 18, 2005 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: AirCard 750 / PCMCIA woes
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz>

Its Debian Sarge, with 2.6.10 (compiled my own)

I'll try finding it with setserial this evening (left the house
without the card - dur!) however, just from flicking through the
/dev/ttyS? with KPPP didn't come up with anything, so I doubt this
will either :'(

dmesg doesn't report anything when the card is installed, not even
something that doesn't make sense.

Thanks again
On 4/18/05, Andrew McMillan <andrew@catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 13:15 +0100, Lee Turner wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > I'm having troubles with an AirCard 750, I followed the instructions
> > found here: http://www.sierrawireless.com/SupportDownload/ac7x0_linux.asp
> > Sadly, they didn't work.
> >
> > Although cardmgr identifys the card correctly as a serial device for
> > some reason it doesn't map it to /dev/modem.
> >
> > Both dmesg and /var/log/messages are quiet on the situation so I don't
> > have any error messages nor do i know if the card is on a /dev/ttyS?
> > or similar.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to find the cards
> > /dev entry or any tips on anything else I might have done wrong.
>
> Does "dmesg" report any recent action when you've just inserted the
> card?
>
> You could try and find the port with setserial:
>
> for A in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 ; do
>   setserial -a /dev/ttyS${A}
> done
>
> (if it says "UART: unknown" then it probably isn't really there.)
>
> The mapping to /dev/modem wouldn't normally happen, but you could
> probably make udev do that.  What kernel / Debian versions are you
> running?
>
> Cheers,
>                                         Andrew.

> Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
> WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
> DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
>                  Biggest security gap -- an open mouth.

<generic witty comment>

--
<generic witty comment>