Re: new laptop recommendations?

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:18:28AM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2004, John M. Flinchbaugh wrote:
> > i must buy a new notebook to replace my declining inspiron 3800.
> My recommendation would be for an IBM laptop.
[snip]
> The second reason is that most of their hardware is well supported by
> Linux, including the graphics chips (ATI or Intel) which will
eventually
> work with an OSS driver, even if they don't support hardware 3D
> today[1].
> These days you get the Centrino wireless card as well, which sucks,
but
> people are getting there, and Intel are now getting into an OSS driver
> for it.

i do lean towards the ati chips instead of nvidia, because i really
don't like having to patch my source much or load binary drivers.

what about acpi support?  it took me over 3 years to really see
decent acpi support on my inspiron 3800.  is acpi support on all
hardware coming along the same, or am i going to buy a new
machine and lose all my power management capabilities?  that
feels like one of those deep, dark things that i can't tell just
by looking up a chipset.

any acpi (battery, ac, fan, processor, events) successes out
there?

thinkpads are attractive, but a 1.5GHz machine costs more than a
2.8GHz dell.  that's hard to justify on a budget.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |