Re: Vacation notices

Bjoern,

without the intend to exagerate this thread:

> Bjoern Schmidt <lucky21@uni-paderborn.de> [2004-04-24 15:03]:

> >against stupid users, no one could do anything real!
>
> If i send an eMail with a falsified senders adress ( who has
> vacation notices enabled ) to a recipient who has vacation notices
> enabled too, would that lead to an endless loop between this 2
> Mailservers?

this depends on the mailserver and its configuration.  With a stock
Postfix you can't; with a rather old sendmail you could.

> That could be used to DoS 2 Mailserver with only 5 or 6 eMail and i
> want to know if i have to do something to avoid that this could be
> used to DoS MY Mailserver...

Me as a Sysadmin of a rather large installation (approx. 500 hosts &
users), I had this problem once when running an old sendmail
installation on a Sun box.  The problem there was that a user created
a loop *and* forgot to insert "^Precedence: bulk$" into the vacation
header (otherwise, vacation would have filtered the looped messages
itself).  Hence, sendmail running as root used all resources...

> I know that this is the wrong list for those questions, it was an
> 'accident' that i posted them to this list. Although, my Mailserver
> is an armada 1700... :)

My 'answer' was not ment to be offensive against you but I am just
tired of all these mailing list users that are not able to configure
their vacation.  Against these users, no one can do anything real....

In German: Aus diesem Grund filtriere ich alle Mailing-Listen auf
diese dummen vacation messages soweit wie moeglich -- gleich wie auch
auf subscribe oder unsubscribe emails...

Schoenes Wochenende!

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? -> <http://www.rawip.org> |