Re: IBM R40e: external USB floppy does not work

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I installed Knoppix 3.3 with debian woody. The external USB floppy
> shipped by IBM works with Windows XP, but I cannot access it from
> linux.
> Can anybody help me please?

The basics:

A USB floppy disk drive does *not* live on /dev/fd?, it lives as a SCSI
disk drive, by virtue of the USB storage device protocols.

So:

Do you have USB mass-storage support, SCSI support and SCSI
disk support all compiled in, or as modules?

If so, do they correctly load and identify the floppy drive as a SCSI
mass storage device?

If so, what happens when you access /dev/sd0?

If one of these steps fails, what are the errors you get?

   Daniel

--
Great minds discuss ideas,
average minds discuss events,