Re: kernel pcmcia modules

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:56, mi wrote:
> > I have just tried switching from the pcmcia-source package to the kernel
> > tree for the PCMCIA drivers.
>
> /etc/default/pcmcia CPC=yenta_socket is alright ?

Here is the contents of my /etc/default/pcmcia:
# Defaults for pcmcia (sourced by /etc/init.d/pcmcia)
PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=i82365
PCIC_OPTS=
CORE_OPTS=
CARDMGR_OPTS=

> I did never recognize that before, but....
>
> Thusly wrote Kenneth Jacker wrote:
>   kim> In the /etc/init.d/pcmcia script, there is some code that
>   kim> replaces the value yenta_socket with i82365 in the PCIC
>   kim> variable when the kernel version is 2.4.x. I have disabled this
>   kim> override more than one notebook installations in which the
>   kim> i82365 kernel module actually did not work while the
>   kim> yenta_socket module worked just fine.
>
> Debian uses a System V boot script arrangement with the PCMCIA startup
> scripts installed in /etc/default/pcmcia brought up by /etc/init.d/pcmcia.
> The init script sources /etc/default/pcmcia which also contains socket and
> cardmgr settings. It also sources var/lib/pcmcia/scheme to initialize
> networks under varying circumstances defined in the /etc/pcmcia/*.opts
> files.

Are there any specific changes that you recommend I should try?

> > When I insert my network card the correct device driver is loaded, but
> > the pcmcia-cs code does not run dhclient etc.
> > The kernel is the only thing that I have changed, with the other kernel
> > with the pcmcia-source drivers it works fine.
>
> Perhaps recompiling the pcmcia-cs-source under the new kernel can help ?
> ( i think, at least, if modversions are enabled )

The pcmcia-cs-source drivers work fine.  But I want to move to the kernel
drivers as they are apparently working better now.